Worcester is a vibrant community that has been undergoing a revitalization over the past decade. Worcester has evolved from its days as a manufacturing hub into a hotbed of innovation in the biomedical, pharmaceutical, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing and higher education sectors. With 13 colleges located in the city, Worcester boasts a young, well-trained workforce that is supported by attractive and affordable housing, cutting-edge schools, rich cultural institutions and diverse recreational activities.
Centrally located in the heart of new England, Worcester has easy access to Boston, its western suburbs – and via I-90, I-495, I-84 and Route 146 – quick connections to the North Shore, South Shore, Springfield, Providence, Rhode Island and Hartford, Connecticut.
Worcester at a glance:
- Population: 181,045
- Population Within 50 Miles: 60 million+
- Land Area: 38.6 square miles
- FY14 Area Median Family Income (4 persons): $79,600
- # Worcester-Based Businesses: 5,100
- Payroll of Worcester Employers: $5,064,139,248
- Hotel Rooms: 766
- College in Worcester: 13
- # College Students: 30,000+
- MBTA Commuter rail to Boston: 65 minutes